FanX® Salt Lake Comic Convention™, also known as FanX® is dedicated to providing a harassment-free convention experience for everyone, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, veteran status, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, age, dress, political affiliation, fandom preference in any area, activity or operation of FanX®.
FanX® has a zero-tolerance harassment policy and prohibits harassment of convention participants. Convention participants violating these rules may be issued a warning or expelled from the convention without a refund at the discretion of the convention organizers if they do not comply.
Our full anti-harassment policy can be found at https://fanxsaltlake.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360004142993
FanX® Salt Lake Comic Convention™ is committed to providing an accessible environment for all.
Harassment problems often start when an act or comment and is defined by the victim as unwelcome and can include:
- Spoken comments, written comments or displayed images or any course of conduct, related to gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, disability, body size, race or religion which annoys, threatens, intimidates, alarms, or puts a person in fear of their safety.
- Spoken comments that reinforce social structures of domination related to gender, gender identity, and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, age, religion, or political affiliation
- Unwelcome physical contact and/or unwelcome sexual attention
- Deliberate intimidation, body policing, stalking or bullying
- Unwanted photography or recording
- Sustained disruption of panels, talks or other events
- Advocating for, or encouraging, any of the above behavior
- False reporting for whatever purpose such as intimidation, exclusion or general harassment of celebrity guests, convention staff, or other attendees.
Exception: The right to free speech is to be respected. Discussion or images related to sex, pornography, discriminatory language, or similar is welcome if it meets all of the following criteria: (a) the organizers have specifically granted permission in writing, (b) it is necessary to the topic of discussion and no alternative exists, (c) it is presented in a respectful manner, especially toward women and LGBTQIA people, (d) attendees are warned in advance in the program and respectfully given ample warning and opportunity to leave beforehand or not attend. This exception specifically does not allow the use of gratuitous sexual images as attention-getting devices or unnecessary examples.
Exception: Fraternization without unwelcome deeds or comments is not harassment.
Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately. If a participant engages in harassing behavior, event organizers retain the right to take any actions necessary to keep the event a welcoming environment for all participants. This includes warning the offender or expulsion from the convention with no refund. Event organizers may take action to redress anything designed to, or with the clear impact of, disrupting the event or making the environment hostile for any participants.
FanX® has a no-tolerance policy for serial harassers, which means they will not be invited to attend a convention where they have disobeyed rules absent a convincing set of reasons of a life lesson learned about harassment. The harasser may write an appeal to the committee for reinstitution. An appeal would only be considered with proof of sufficient rehabilitation and restitution. Notification of a harasser’s presence will be required at future events.
CODE OF CONDUCT
All participants in FanX® events and activities are expected to comply with the following anti-harassment code of conduct, which prohibits behaviors including the following:
- Please respect all participants, audience members, staff and volunteers at all times.
- Please do not hug, touch, kiss, graze, grope, spank, or engage in any activity that may be deemed as harassing to anyone, without first asking for and receiving permission.
- Sustained disruption of talks or other events is not acceptable.
- Please ensure any photography is non-disruptive, and respect the moderator and/or panelists’ wishes regarding taking of photos.
- Do not touch any part of someone’s cosplay without first asking permission. Cosplay construction can be delicate and much more fragile than it first appears. Remember: “A costume does not imply consent.” Admire the creativity of a costume without touching.
- If people tell you “no” or ask you to leave them alone, your business with them is done. If you continue to attempt to have contact with those people, you may be removed from the premises.
- Do not touch people’s service animals or accessibility devices without their permission. Any animal on site is presumed to be a service animal by attendees and should be treated respectfully as such.
- Do not assume a disabled person needs help. You may offer, but do not pressure a disabled person to accept help. They will ask for it if needed.
- Do not evaluate or comment on other people’s disability or access. Not all disabilities are visible.
- The moderator/organizer of any event, panel, presentation, or workshop has the right to ask anyone to leave the room.
- Exhibitors should not use “sexually explicit”, “pornographic” or “indecent” images, activities, clothing/uniforms/costumes, or otherwise, create a sexualized public environment. Sexually explicit images in public spaces including vendor booths require a cover for people passing by on the vendor floor and should not be visible to the general public. Customers that are looking for explicit/nude art are free to walk up to the vendor booth and remove the cover and browse the art for sale privately.
Harassment of any kind will not be tolerated at the Convention. If you have been the target of harassment, please read below to learn who you can report your issue to. The sooner an issue is reported to us, the more appropriately we can address it.
We want you to be happy at our event. It is people like you that make our event a better place.
How to Report an Incident
Persons finding themselves in a situation where they feel targeted or where their safety is at risk or who become aware of an attendee or guest not in compliance with this policy should immediately locate the nearest volunteer or information booth, security personnel, or FanX® staff member that can direct you to the FanX® office located in Room 150A.
Note: FanX® staff members will be wearing identifying badges that say“Event Staff”. Volunteer Managers and Room Captains (Volunteers) will be wearing identifying t-shirts. Security will be dressed in black FanX® branded t-shirts. Convention staff can be identified by t-shirts/special badges/headsets.
You may also report the incident to the Utah Attorney General’s Harassment Hotline by calling 1-833-OUR-FANX.
Want to stay anonymous? Reports may also be submitted electronically via our Anonymous Incident Forms (see more below).
We will do our utmost to respect the privacy of anyone coming forward.
About Personal Reports
Personal Reports may be made in person in Room 150A (verbally or in writing) to a designated member of the FanX® staff or a volunteer manager on duty. You can also email [email protected].
When taking a Personal Report, FanX® staff will ensure you are safe and cannot be overheard. We may involve other event staff or those in authority to ensure your report is managed properly. Once in a safe space, we will ask you to tell us about what happened. This can be upsetting, but we will handle it as respectfully as possible, and you may bring someone to support you. You won’t be asked to confront anyone and we won’t tell anyone who you are.
Our team will be happy to help you contact hotel/venue security, local law enforcement, local support services, provide escorts, or otherwise assist you to feel safe for the duration of the event. We value your attendance.
Please see the “Sanctions” section below to review how your Personal Report will be handled.
Anonymous Incident Report Forms
For Special Guests: https://bit.ly/2IfMxmK
Special Guests includes Panelists, Authors, Artists, Vendor/Vendor Model, Cosplay Crossroads participant, Moderator, Celebrity Guest, Agent or Manager.
For Attendees: https://bit.ly/2InLIEB
Although we can’t follow up on an anonymous report with you directly, we will fully investigate it and take whatever action is necessary to prevent a recurrence. We may also notify the person identified as the harasser.
When safe and practical encourage consider self-help and complain directly to the other person, “ just say no.” Some invited guests may hug you out of a misguided sense that as a fan you want to be hugged. Hugging in this way can be avoided if you speak up.
The Utah Attorney General Harassment Hotline
The Utah Attorney General’s Office is proud to partner with FanX Salt Lake Comic Convention to bring a 24/7 harassment hotline to the 2018 conference this September. Together, we hope to send a clear message to participants that bullying, abuse, assault, or harassment of any kind will not be tolerated.
During the event, anyone witnessing a violation of the Zero Tolerance Harassment Policy should call the hotline. Reports will be routed to the AG’s Office for initial action and, if necessary, referred to the local police or FanX for further investigation. The hotline number is 1-833-OUR-FANX.
The AG’s Office applauds FanX and their efforts to ensure their events are safe and fun for all.
FanX® Salt Lake Comic Convention takes all allegations of harassment seriously. Every report will be investigated by a member of the Executive Team and Committee, and appropriate action will be taken upon completion.
Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately. If the behavior does not stop, or if the investigating committee deems it severe enough, the individual may face any of the following sanctions:
- Immediate removal from the convention (without refund)
- Loss of honorarium (for faculty or special guests)
- Prohibition from future involvement as an attendee, volunteer, vendor, programming guest, or any other participant.
- Denial of access to FanX® Salt Lake Comic Convention shows on a temporary or permanent basis