Dear Friends, Fellow Fans and Loyal Customers,
You’re reading this letter because you have supported us in the past and attended one of our 10 FanX® Salt Lake Comic Convention™ events since 2013. We wanted to write you an important and special message during our Loyalty Launch to update you on what’s been happening at FanX and share a little bit of our vision for 2019.
First of all we want to say THANK YOU! We have now produced TEN amazing FanX® comic conventions in Salt Lake City. We have had hundreds of thousands of visitors, thousands of vendors, thousands of guests, thousands of volunteers, and hundreds of panels and panelists and comic creators and best-selling authors participate in our events. 6½ years ago FanX was just an idea. Now it is the most attended convention in the history of Utah…every single year since 2013. We break UTA transportation records almost every year because you take public transportation, often in costume. And we’re also one of the top comic conventions in the country. How does that happen…in one of the smallest metropolitan areas in the country? It’s because YOU are the best fans in the world. Without YOU, none of this is possible. Your support has allowed us to be the best we can be.
We wanted to take a little time and acknowledge and thank you with a few highlights of how you have made this event so special.
Here’s what some of our guests have said about you:
- Chris Evans – “Wow…I’ve had the most amazing time at FanX. I’ve been to a few conventions before but I’ve never had the opportunity to interact with the fans on such a personal level. They shared some wonderful stories that I was honored to hear. I’m filled with an overwhelming sense of gratitude. Thank you to all my loyal, sincere, loving, and passionate fans from the very bottom of my heart. You’ve reminded me how gratuitously lucky I am. #WeAreAllConnected
- Stan Lee – “You have the greatest comic con[vention] in the world.”
- Mark Hamill – “Right now, this [FanX] is my happy place.”
- John Cena – “Thank you guys! This is rather overwhelming…thank you for the energy. All of this…it’s amazing.”
- Sir Patrick Stewart – “This feels so good! I’m so happy to be back in Salt Lake City.”
- Hayley Atwell – “Today at [FanX] I was in a photo op with Chris [Evans} and a man got down on one knee and proposed with a ring to his girlfriend. It was one of the most moving and beautiful things I have been a witness to.”
- Erin Gray CEO of Heroes for Hire – “Salt Lake Comic Convention has created one of the top events in North America.”
- Paul Holbrook – President of MINDstyle International / Funko Asia – [Salt Lake Comic Convention] assembled an amazing staff and volunteer pool that is second to none….I have done hundreds of shows collectively and I can tell you that FanX is one of the best. I was so impressed with what [FanX] has built in such a short time…they stack up against any major show!”
- Vincent Mikolay – Managing Director Utah Governor’s Office of Economic Development – “In less than 6 months [FanX] pulled off a feat even Walt Disney would be amazed by….and they only keep getting better! I never attended a convention before Salt Lake…now I wouldn’t miss it for anything!”
- Ed Fries Co-Founder of the Xbox Project and former VP of Microsoft – “I had the pleasure of speaking at the first [FanX] and the experience was excellent in every way. The most important part was having a large and enthusiastic audience to talk to and in that regard I was blown away.”
- Chuck Rozanski – Vendor – Mile High Comics – “I cannot remember the last time that I have been in a gigantic convention center with so many enthusiastic fans…My hat is off…for making this convention such an enjoyable experience for so many people.”
Here’s a few of the awards and accolades that we have received because of you:
- Guinness World Record – Largest Gathering of Comic Book Characters in the World
- City Weekly – Best New Event
- City Weekly – Best Comic Convention Anywhere
- City Weekly – Best Place to Break Utahn Boundaries
- Salt Lake Magazine – Best of the Beehive
- Salt Lake Tribune Salt Awards – Reader’s Choice
- The Salt Lake Tribune – Dan Farr Utahn of the Year (online winner)
- Utah Governor Gary Herbert – Salt Lake Comic Convention’s Heroes Day Official Proclamation
- Utah Attorney General Sean Reyes – Fighting Crime with Salt Lake Comic Convention Day Official Proclamation
- Utah Attorney General Sean Reyes – Certificate of Appreciation for support of Law Enforcement
- Salt Lake City Mayor Jackie Biskupski – Salt Lake Comic Convention’s Heroes Day Official Proclamation
- Salt Lake City Mayor Ralph Becker – Salt Lake City Day of Heroes Official Proclamation
And here’s some of the amazing partners YOUR support and amazing enthusiasm have attracted to our event:
- SyFy Channel
- SuperNews TV
- ABC 4 and CW 30
- Fox 13
- KUTV CBS Channel 2
- KSL 5 NBC
- The Salt Lake Tribune
- The Deseret News
- City Weekly
- Salt Lake Magazine
- Broadway Media
- X96 and The Radio from Hell
- United States Air Force
- United States Marine Corp
- The Leonardo Museum
- Utah STEM Action Center
- Utah Pride Center
- Unified Police of Salt Lake City
- Columbia Pictures
- Make a Wish
- Megaplex Theaters
- Visit Salt Lake
- Weber State University
- Utah Film Commission
- Eccles Center Theater
- Operation Underground Railroad
- Sony Pictures
- Siegfried & Jensen
- Department of Veteran Affairs
- Subaru of America
- The Road Home
- Huntsman Cancer Institute
- Ballet West
- Utah Symphony
6 years ago we never dreamed that we would together build such a community. We are now a family and we are so very grateful. #WeAreAllConnected. It really does take a village so we really want to acknowledge all of you for what we have become. Your generous support has allowed us to donate over $2 million in cash and tickets to our community…organizations like Make A Wish, Big Brothers and Big Sisters and the VA Hospital. We could not have done this without your continuous support.
One of the things that has made this all so successful is our efforts to offer a lot of value for your hard-earned dollar. We have done our very best to ensure that for the price of General Admission you will receive more entertainment value than anything else in the city. That’s why your ticket will get you:
- Admission to every panel, with the exception of a few paid FanXperience panels that we have done over the years. We offer hundreds of hours of panels anywhere from your favorite celebrity Q&A to a DC vs Marvel or Star Wars discussion with exceptional panelists
- Vendor floor access. It’s like a geek arts festival and the largest nerd mall combined. Nowhere in the region can you find such an amazing selection of pop culture and comic book art and collectibles.
- KidCon – Although we think our whole event is appealing to children, KidCon is particularly fun for the halflings.
- People watching and Cosplayers. FanX is home to some of the best local Cosplayers and Cosplay groups in the land and attracts many more from around the world. Our Cosplay Contest draws impressive entries and there are Cosplay meetups for photos all weekend from your favorite fandoms.
- Author signings – We do our best to bring top science fiction and fantasy authors to FanX and they do book signings too. It’s a great way to meet people that love the same books you do.
- Artist Alley – We’re a comic convention so we love to bring professionals that write, illustrate and create comics. You can get commissioned art or have them sign your favorite comic book.
And there are some additional features to our show that do cost extra but in many cases…are priceless. At FanX you can meet your favorite celebrities, get your picture taken with them or get an autograph. The photos will go fast but when you see the photo on your wall with you and your dream guest, it will bring a smile to your face for years to come. And some love to get Autographs from their favorite celebrity to create a lasting memory on a piece of art, a movie DVD, photograph or collectible figure.
Next year we will have two FanX events again. Our FanX Spring 2019 takes place April 19-20 and FanX Fall 2019 will be held September 5-7. Every year we step back and ask ourselves how we can be better. We know we are not perfect yet, but the bar gets higher each year. We know we have made mistakes, but we are resolved to always not repeat them. Not only do we want to improve things that are already great, we want to do our best to insure fewer mistakes or disappointments. We promise we will do our very, very best.
We’ve already started our Loyalty Launch. As a prior customer, you may know that you can get a 30% discount on tickets right now by participating during this period. We don’t announce guests. We don’t promote on TV or the radio. We let our best customers know that now is the time to get the very best price. The Loyalty Launch prices end Thanksgiving Day at midnight. After that Early Supporter tickets will be discounted by 15% and prices will increase through December. Early Support discounts end on New Year’s Eve at midnight. We’ll announce our first guest(s) on Christmas Eve.
We know you have a lot of options on what you do with your time and money and we thank you for your trust in what we are doing. We are committed to continue to grow and refine this event to serve you and this community. We will continue to pour our heart and soul into making this one of Utah’s finest institutions.
Onward and Upward,